Saturday, June 9, 2012

Friends to the End Card

Hi Crafty Friends! 
I can't believe I forgot to post this on my blog.   It has been a crazy week trying to finish up the goody bags for Matthew's class before the last day of school.  This was my post last week over at Pink by Design. 

Today I have a new technique I thought I'd share with you. I thought it would be fun to try something different. My newest obsession is Twine; I can't get enough of it. I wanted the twine to be the main focus and not a die cut like normal. So I cut out the card base from the CTMH Art Philosophy cartridge and the butterfly background is from the Elegant Edges cartridge. I added the top two butterflies from the CTMH Art Philosophy cartridge and welded them onto the white paper using my gypsy. I then cut out the butterflies again but cut them slightly larger than their original sizes, this way the pink cardstock wouldn't show through.


When I made the purple butterfly I didn't use any type of adhesive on the front, I just used glue dots on the back of the butterfly.  Then wrapped the twine around the butterfly. After completing the first butterfly I noticed that the front didn't look as nice on the front as it did on the back. So when making the second butterfly I used glue dots on the front and the back of the butterfly and then started wrapping the twine on the butterfly. It was a little tricky handling the butterflies with the glue dots on both sides, but once there was some twine on the butterflies it was easier.  Now by using the glue dots on both sides I ended up using a lot of glue dots, especially since there were 3 butterflies.


In the picture above you can see what it looks like after I started wrapping the twine around the butterfly and how I laid out the glue dots. I also just added a little bit of the glue dots at a time this way the twine wouldn't get stuck on the glue dots and start to look bad.



Here are the butterflies all covered with the twine. You can't even tell that there is patterned paper under the twine. I just love how they turned out.

                                     

The next thing I did was lay them out under the white paper. This way I could see where I needed to put the glue dots around the butterflies on the back so they would stick to it. I also stamped my sentiment and inked the edges before I added the glue dots.



After adding the twine to the butterflies they became really thick. So to help with the thickness of the butterflies I added pop dots around the edges of the white paper so the paper would lay nice and flat on my cardstock.

                                      

Here is a close up of the butterflies and the sentiment. The sentiment is from the Friends to the End stamp set. I forgot to mention that when I was wrapping the twine around the butterflies I tried to wrap them all a little different so the pattern on each of them would be a little different.



So here is the whole card. I love the way it came out, and that it's completely different from what I would normally make.  What do you think?  So leave me some comments and tell me what you think.




I used a sentiment inside the card as well. This sentiment is from the Summer Vacation stamp set. 

Thanks for stopping by today!

Melisa




2 comments:

  1. This is adorable!Love this idea!TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. very fun look. I missed this post and am glad yu shared it here.

    ReplyDelete